Vitamin D deficiency and heart disease

Vitamin D deficiency and heart disease

Is there a link between vitamin D deficiency and heart disease?

Invasive Cardiologist Dr. Gulana Agayeva gave detailed information to MedProInfo readers.

About 95% of the vitamin D the body needs comes from sunlight through the skin, and the other 5% comes from certain foods, such as eggs, fish, grains and orange juice. It has long been known that vitamin D deficiency causes rickets in children and osteoporosis in adults. However, recent research has found a link between cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and obesity and vitamin D deficiency. Studies have shown that cardiovascular disease, stroke and heart failure are more common in people with vitamin D deficiency.

To summarize the results of one of these studies:

▪️ Men with vitamin D deficiency have a 15.3 times higher risk of heart failure than women.

▪️ People with heart failure, overweight and vitamin D deficiency are 4.18 times more likely than people with normal weight.

▪️ Vitamin D deficiency is more likely to cause heart failure in people with arrhythmias.

In our daily practice, blood tests show that one in three people has a serious vitamin D deficiency. 

To get enough vitamin D, experts recommend being in the sun for half an hour every day between May and September. In addition, nutrition has been shown to help with vitamin D levels. With all this in mind, we recommend all readers to have a healthy and active lifestyle for a healthy heart, proper nutrition and avoid harmful habits!

Gülanə Ağayeva